Tuesday, April 5, 2016

April 5, 2016


This week flew by! We did a bit more tracking work which is going door to door and let's just say that I've had some interesting language problems. Every time someone comes to the door I usually end up saying the church's name in reverse order and then just look at Sisar Kwok for help. It reminds me of the best two years and how awkward he was at the beginning of the movie, I now know the struggle is real. So real. I was practicing how to say '' Oletko Isäntä?'' which means ''Are you the man of the house?'' or  ''Oletko Emäntä?''  which is '' Are you the woman of the house?''.  We usually try and make sure they actually live there before we begin talking but because I'm awkward I almost always mix up the two. I have asked several woman if they are the man of the house. Several. Luckily my trainer usually can sense my full blown panic after I realize my mistake and she swoops in to save the day and actually addresses them correctly. 

We were teaching a new investigator for the first time last week and because he had never been religious he had never prayed before and he didn't know much about Christianity. He's a really cool Turkish man here for school and so luckily the lesson was in English (most of them are). We explained how to pray and we explained that we are God's children and that he loves hearing from us. At the end of the lesson we asked him to say the closing prayer and although he was kind of nervous he agreed. It was such a privilege to hear someones first prayer ever to God. I honestly think it was the best day of my mission so far. We are teaching him again later in the week. He had so many questions and seemed really sincere so I'm really excited to see him again. Investigator prayers are just the best. 

I know that even though I have made A LOT of cringe worthy mistakes this past week I have also been talking to more people and learning more each day. I love being a missionary even if it's hard sometimes, I know that it's worth it. I love learning more about my Savior Jesus Christ and God everyday and seeing how much they really love each and every one of us. I love the people here and this beautiful country that I've been blessed to serve in! 

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome!! I can also remember investigators first prayers when I was on my mission and I agree...they are the best prayers ever! So sweet, simple, and sincere!!! Love hearing about all of her incredible experiences!

    ReplyDelete